We all know that the holidays can be a very expensive time of year with house guests, holiday meals and festive holiday lights. Here are some tips to save energy during the holidays:
- Set time on your side-use timers for your holiday displays so that they are not accidently left on all night.
- Get your guests on the energy saving bandwagon-remind them to turn off lights when leaving a room.
- Choose glass or ceramic pans for the oven-these pans heat faster than metal ones and allow you to lower the cooking temperature.
- Use Crock-pots and microwaves-these smaller appliances are more energy efficient for side dishes, small meals or left-overs.
- Wait to wash-wash only full loads in laundry machines & dishwashers and use energy saver, air-dry cycle and cold water in washers.
- Bake before you clean-only use the self cleaning oven feature when necessary and start right after you've cooked to take advantage of the pre-existing heat.
- Deck the halls with LED's-they are the bright choice to get more for your money & last 10 times longer than incandescent holiday lights.